WE ARE STILL HIRING FOR THE FOLLOWING COURSES:
BIOTECHNOLOGY (high need)
THE APPLICATION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL THE VACANCIES ABOVE ARE FILLED.
We encourage all candidates to apply as soon as possible!
The Engineering Summer Academy at Penn (ESAP) offers rigorous, intensive, and fun three-week courses for rising high school sophomores to seniors in six subject areas: Biotechnology, Computer Graphics, Computer Science, Nanotechnology, Networks, and Robotics. Find out more about our program here!
As staff members in a residential, academically challenging program, Residential Teaching Assistants (RTAs) will take on many roles: educator, mentor, group leader, residential advisor, and role model.
- Prepare for ESAP classes as directed by the course instructor(s)
- Assist course instructor(s) during classes and lab; organize extra study and lab sessions (as necessary); be generally available for extra help outside of class
- Live with ESAP participants in designated housing and work with the Residential Director to plan and implement social and cultural activities
- Ensure the safety and well-being of the students; ensure that students adhere to all program (academic and residential) rules and regulations
- Serve as residential staff for move-in and move-out activities, including pick-ups at the airport and train station, and other duties as assigned
- Accompany participants on all educational and social field trips
All SEAS undergraduates in good academic standing are eligible to apply, including those graduating in May 2023. Some coursework or other expertise in the program area to which they are applying is required, (see below). Experience in a residential leadership position is a plus. Graduate students are also welcome to apply.
To best assist the students in the classroom, unless a course is noted as “required,” it is recommended that eligible applicants have taken at least one of the following courses (the more, the better!).
BIOTECHNOLOGY: CBE 150, 479, 480; CHEM 251; BIOL 121, 202; Research Lab Experience
COMPUTER GRAPHICS: CIS 110 (required), CIS 120, 121; FNAR 235, 236, 264
COMPUTER SCIENCE: CIS 120 (required); some knowledge of Python (desirable)
COMPLEX NETWORKS: NETS 150, NETS 312
NANOTECHNOLOGY: CHEM 102/054, PHYS 141 or 151, ESE 218/336, EAS 210, CBE 150
ROBOTICS: MEAM 101 (design), 201 (manufacturing), 410/510 (highly recommended)
Program Dates: July 9th – July 29th
Four weeks (3 week program + 1 week of training) as full time members of the ESAP staff, plus a few additional hours preparing for or wrapping up the program:
RTA move-in: TBD (most likely July 3rd)
RTA move-out: Saturday, July 29th (no later than 2pm, after all students have vacated the dorm)
During the program, RTAs are in the classroom or on duty (virtually) 24 hours a day, with one weekend day off per week. RTAs may not have other jobs or commitments during the program period, including Summer Session classes.
RTAs will be paid a total stipend of $3,750 (pre-tax) upon conclusion of the program. In addition, they will receive room/ board and all meals during the program.
Please complete the application via the Google form below:
In addition, please upload your resume to the Google form (pdf format only) using the following format: